Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Way I Heard The Word: Jesus, Figs, and Us??

This is the beginning of a new section of the blog about the Bible. It is the way I have read the word and what it means to me. Therefore it is titled: The Way I Heard The Word. Feel free to comment or offer some wisdom!

Luke 13:6-9

Good News Translation (GNT)

The Parable of the Unfruitful Fig Tree
6 Then Jesus told them this parable:
         There was once a man who had a fig tree growing in his vineyard. He went looking for figs on it but found none.7 So he said to his gardener,
         Look, for three years I have been coming here looking for figs on this fig tree, and I haven't found any. Cut it down! Why should it go on using up the soil?8 But the gardener answered,
         Leave it alone, sir, just one more year; I will dig around it and put in some fertilizer.9 Then if the tree bears figs next year, so much the better; if not, then you can have it cut down.

When I read this I can't help but think of Jesus referring to his church. We are his body, his hands and feet here on Earth to reflect his love. What does Jesus think when He looks at His church? Do we bear the fruit that the Bible tells us to be about? Paul said in Galatians, "But the Spirit produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility, and self control." Or are we at the point that we are using up the soil, or using up too many resources here on Earth for everything but the uplifting of His kingdom? To me I feel like the Holy Spirit intercedes in saying, "Leave it alone, just one more year; I will dig around it and put in some fertilizer." I think about myself during this passage asking myself if I do bear the "figs" Jesus would like me to bear. Am I really all about love, peace, and patience all the time, not to mention all the others. I think it is a good time for us to dig deep and find out where we are. There is no better time than now to take an honest look at the fruit we bear and ask Jesus to help us bear the right "figs" that we are told to bear. I certainly don't want to be in the position of the fig tree not producing and being cut down. In this passage it is mentioned to "dig around and put some in fertilizer." This tells me it starts with prayer asking God to have his spirit help us and nudge us even. We have to dig deep and work hard, consistently to bear the right fruit!

No comments:

Post a Comment